Sunday, March 22, 2009

Write on.... Crouton

The other day I wrote my friends, let's call them, "The Write Brothers", I explained how I couldn't write lately. A usual problem, for me, cause it seems when this happens I wallow in it for awhile. Then I ask for advice from one of my write friends. After the advice I write for awhile, then rinse and repeat.

Dang, I never said this out loud to myself. It seems I have a pattern. If I stay true to myself in this pattern revealing post, my next move is to proudly and loudly proclaim how I am going to set the world on fire with my stories. Yup, that's the pattern. Time to face up and change it up.

Maybe my new intimate digs will help. Nah, we know this is just real estate and if I want to write, well, hell, then I need to just write. I told the write brothers one of my procrastinating techniques was to get so caught up in the dreaming part that I start to plan my book tour, jacket cover, (better get in shape for that picture), other things. I put the horse before the cart as my grandmama would say. Time to break old patterns, or give it a good try.

My sister called the other day and asked if I could go to this ladies night with her. I never go out and always turn her down. Time to break old patterns. I told her o.k. I would go. I was in a way dreading it because the beginning of the week is always so busy. School, sports, practice, homework and all the everyday house stuff. But....I went.

This ladies night was held at a little bistro called Olive Oilz. This little place, and I do mean little because it has five tables. Two of them seat four people the other three seat two. It has been a few things before they took over. I hope they make it.

One of the tricks they do is to have a ladies night. All these people send out e-mail invites to their friends an voila the place fills up. They have, of course the food and wine, but they also have other stuff. One lady brings in her jewelry to sell. There was a guy doing henna tattoos. This one lady I met at a dinner party was doing tarot readings. They take a risk and it works. It was very eclectic and fun.

I started talking to the lady who did tarot readings and she did a reading for me. The question was, now that I have the time and really feel ready to commit to writing, which project do I choose? The cards told a story and this lady was a master. It was very exciting and fun. She told me I was going to complete a project but it was going to be something completely new. When I finished it I would finally have the blueprint to know how to stay focused and complete something . Everything I needed, the tools in which to complete my writing project were already inside me. What a revelation.

Now before you go telling me I am dipping in with the devil. I think I am wide eyed about tarot cards and fortune telling. She knew my problem is self esteem and gave me a boost. It made me feel good and when I got home I started brainstorming. I think I am on to something.

The other problem I have is talking the fire out of a project, so you will hear no more about my project until I am ready to reveal a finished package. In the meantime to satisfy my need for instant gratification I will write about the process or the other things going on in my life. I am feeling I might be a little more intimate here. I'm ready to take risk and hopefully like the bistro, folks will come.

Like my friend Buddah Moskowitz says, just write. Write about the world book tour, write about not writing. Write. He is a smart cookie. So, I'm here to write. Somedays you might be enthralled and other days you may question my sanity. Either way, I hope to write, good-bad or indifferent.

No comments: