Saturday, January 24, 2009

Chips and Salsa


Once upon a time there was a man, a stinky bad man who would tell me I was simple. Over and over. It wasn't his way of saying he wanted to ride west and homestead. He was trying to put me in my place. It worked for awhile. His constant belittling would sometimes roll off me, but there were quite a few times when it would take root. I was a new mother of two and to be quite honest I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I did know that once I had my first son, life changed. I changed. The father did not change. It took awhile, but I left.

Everybody has boundaries, some perimeters are just larger than others. My boundaries were pretty darn big back then. I would say the lines ran as far apart as south Florida to Washington state. He crossed it. I wised up and guess what? I rode west and homesteaded, alone with my boys. Things had to get complicated for me to figure out the plain truth. I am simple.

Have you ever had so many bad things, big or little, real or imagined happen for long stretches of time? You acknowledge the problems, solve them and move on but things just happen and happen and happen.

Enough is enough! Well, it seems it happened to me. More than once, maybe that's why I kind of shut down this year. A lifetime of shit caught up. I was at the stage where I don't care what is happening, somebody else needs to deal with it. I denied stuff. I ignored stuff. I pushed stuff off on other people. If one more thing happened I was going to break. NO MORE! Does that ever happen to anyone?

I am heading back to the middle now. My head has been stuck in the sand for long enough and now it's time to kick ass and take names. I guess I needed a retreat to the river denial to learn shit doesn't go away on it's own, even with a good man by my side. It doesn't matter where you go...there you are. Deal with it.

Speaking of simple. My husband and I are slowly but surely starting our dream of the house on the side of the mountain. Last year we had power brought in. This year for Christmas we decided to give each other the gift of a septic system. I think we are having so much fun planning our future life.

You know I found a bunch of blogs on accident of people who are living the country life. The homesteading life. Living off the land. Is this a new trend? Instead of being the suburban Jones people are becoming the country Jones. Although, I think it might be a whole lot harder to be a real and true homesteader than to be the city folks next door on main street, U.S.A. Me, I think we will be somewhere in between.

I think this is enough sharing for me for one night. I feel a little better. I have a lot more to say about the word simple, but I will save it for another condiment. I'll give you a hint. It has to do with clothes lines, chocolate chip cookies and my dad.

I think Chips and Salsa are one of my favorite condiments. It's simple, fresh and delicious. So, if you made it this far through my blog and really don't know what to say, give me your favorite salsa recipe, or pico de gallo recipe. Maybe one day we can share them with a beer on my wrap around porch over looking the land and a chicken or two.

No comments: